(3) Wipe the cylinder heads and blocks with a
cloth dampened with cleaning solvent. Dry thoroughly
(1) Remove the cylinder head shrouds and rear
(4) Inspect the cylinder heads for cracks, breaks or
warping. Replace a defective cylinder head.
(3) Remove the spark plugs.
(5) Inspect the top of the cylinder block for cracks
(4) Remove the seventeen capscrews (19) and
or breaks. Inspect the cylinder walls for scoring and
washers (18) that secure the cylinder head (17) to the
cylinder block (12). Remove the cylinder head and
(6) Inspect the top of the valves and valve seats.
Repair or replace any defective valves or valve seats.
b. Cleasning and Inspection.
(1) Carefully scrape and wire brush all carbon
(1) Install cylinder head in reverse order of remov-
deposits from the cylinder blocks. Clean the carbon
from the tops of the pistons and blow away the carbon
(2) Apply a mixture of graphite and oil on the
with compressed air.
capscrews and tighten to 25-32 lb. ft. torque.
(2) Wire brush and scrape the carbon out of the
12. Cylinder block
17. Cylinder head
20. Spark plug