5. Valve tappet assembly
of the connecting rod (7).
a. General The pistons
are made of heavy duty alloy
( 6 ) Push the piston and connecting rod out
casting, and are equipped with two compression rings,
through the top of the cylinder bore, Be careful not to
one scraper ring and one oil ring. The upper end of the
scratch or mar the bore. Reassemble the connecting rod
connecting rod is fitted with bronze bushing. The con-
necting rod has a shell bearing.
The connecting rods and caps are matched and must be
paired together to insure correct installation. The caps and
rods are marked with their respective cylinder numbers.
(3) Remove the carbon and ridge at the top of the
(1) Remove the piston rings from the pistons.
cylinder bore with a ridge reamer,
(2) Remove the retaining rings (6) and push the
(4) Turn the crankshaft until the lower end of the
piston pin (5) out from the piston (4) and connecting
desired connecting rod is accessible.
(5) Remove the nuts (18, fig 6-14) from the con-
(3) Remove the piston pin bushing (27). Place the
necting rod bolts (8). Loosen the cap from the bolts by
connecting rod in a press, and press out the bushing.
tapping it with a soft-faced hammer. Remove the cap