(19) Smooth scratches, burrs, and nicks on any machined surfaces
using a fine file. Remove all fillings before assembly.
(20) Repair minor thread damage using thread chasers, taps, and
dies. Clean threads to remove metal particles.
(1) Assemble starter assembly in reverse order of disassembly using
(2) If brushes were replaced, run in new brushes as follows:
Cover armature commutator with a piece of No.100 grit
Temporarily install brushes and commutator end frame and
run in brushes by operating motor for ten minutes.
Disassemble, remove sandpaper, and clean armature commu-
tator and brushholder assembly with filtered compressed
(1) Test overrun clutch as follows:
Rotate drive gear back and forth. Gear should turn free-
ly in direction of motor rotation and rotate armature shaft
in other direction.
If gear turns armature shaft in both directions, the over-
run clutch is binding and must be replaced.
If gear does not rotate armature shaft in either direction,
the overrun clutch is slipping and must be replaced.
(2) Test starter solenoid as follows:
Remove terminal lead.
Apply 24 Vdc between the negative terminal and the small
terminal of the solenoid assembly.
Solenoid actuation will be indicated by an audible "click"
and rearward movement of the drive gear.
Remove 24 Vdc from solenoid assembly terminals.
The drive gear should move forward with an audible
Replace solenoid assembly if it fails to function.
Install terminal lead.