(3) Conduct starter assembly motoring test as follows:
(a) Remove terminal lead between solenoid and starter motor.
(b) Install starter into motoring test circuit shown in figure
(c) Adjust rheostat until voltmeter indicates 20-volts.
(e) Ammeter should indicate 50 to 70 amps with starter turning
at 7,000 to 9,500 rpm.
(f) If current and speed are low, disassemble starter and check
(g) If current is high and rpm low, disassemble and inspect
armature shaft and bushings for wear or misalignment.
(h) Do not install terminal lead until after performing the
reverse order of removal.
(1) Tag and disconnect the electrical connection.
(2) Loosen the mounting hardware and remove the V-belt (8).
(3) Remove adjusting arm screw (1) and washers (2 and 3).
(4) Remove the mounting bracket screw (6), spacer (7), washers
(5), and nut (4). -
(1) Remove screw (35), and screw (32).
(3) Tag and disconnect wiring. Reinstall nuts and studs.
(4) Remove cover (36) and OVV absorber (34).
(5) If necessary, remove fuse (39), fuseholder (4), connector (37)
and terminal leads (41 through 44).
(6) Remove screw (32) and housing and shield (33).