(17 ) Inspect pulley for excessive wear at pulley groove, cracks,
corrosion, and other damage.
(18) Inspect fan for cracks, corrosion, bent blades and other damage.
(19) Inspect bearings for pitting, excessive wear, and other damage.
(20) Inspect all threads for crossing, stripping, and peening.
Refer to figure 7-6 to assemble the alternator in reverse
(1) Manufacture test leads as follows:
(a) From No. 8 or 10 insulated wire, cut three lengths, one 10
inches long and two 5 inches long.
(b) Strip both ends of all three leads and tin with solder.
(c) Attach a 1/4-inch ring terminal to one end of the 10-inch
(d) Attach a No. 10 ring terminal to one end of each 5-inch
(2) Install test leads as follows:
(a) Attach the test leads as shown in figure 7-8. Pass the
free end of each lead through the ventilated band cover.
(b) Install regulator and cover assembly and secure with
(3) Install alternator in test circuit as shown in figure 7-9.
The test circuit is identical to the
an operational set is available, the
(a) With switch open, compare voltage readings at V1 and V2.
The readings should be identical.