(13) Visually inspect the drive shaft for undue wear or cracking.
Check the diameter where the thrust sleeve slides for scores.
Check for smoothness of seal grooves. They must be absolutely
(14) Check the regulating piston for freedom of movement in the end
plate sleeve. Check all threads for damage. The filter element
should bear no evidence of damage. Clean all dirt or rust from
Check for tightness of the orifice plate.
Replace adjusting plug if plate is loose.
(15) Check that the damper piston (9, figure 8-11) moves freely in
the damper barrel (8, figure 8-11 ). Inspect for chipping of
piston or scratches to the piston and damper barrel bore. The
bleed orifice should allow free flow when the piston is inserted.
Replace components as necessary.
All parts should be flushed in clean
oil as they are assembled. Replace
all seals and gaskets.
Do not use
Install piston seal dry.
(1) Insert regulating piston seal (9, figure 8-8) into the lower end
of the regulating sleeve assembly (2, figure 8-8) far enough to
expose retaining ring groove. Install retaining ring (6, figure
) into the sleeve making sure that the piston slides
bottom of the sleeve bore without binding.
(3) Install end plate adjusting plug (1, figure 8-8 ) into the sleeve
until all threads are just below port "A".
Do not exceed this position as exces-
sive transfer pump pressure could occur.