INTAKE AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
The intake system consists of a oil bath type air cleaner which re-
moves dust and dirt from the engine combustion air.
The exhaust system provides a means of expelling exhaust fumes
from the engine and muffles much of the noise generated by engine
The breather tube provides an escape route for gases which accumu-
late in the crankcase during engine operation. The gases pass
through the breather, located in the engine valve cover, and are
expelled into the air cleaner housing through the breather tube.
(1) Remove air cleaner as illustrated in figure 11-1.
(2) Loosen clamp screw and clamp and remove oil cup (fig. 11-1)
from the air cleaner.
Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean all met al parts with cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect for dents, damage, and tears or defects in hoses. Re-
place defective parts as `necessary.
(2) Fill oil cup to proper level. Install the oil cup on the air
cleaner and secure with clamp and clamp screw.
(1) Loosen the raincap retaining screw (3), and remove the raincap
(2) Remove the four screws that retain the exhaust pipe collar to
the top of the engine housing and remove the collar.
(3) Remove the two nuts, washers and clamp (5), that retain the
muffler (6), to the exhaust adapter (7).