AND FLYWHEEL HOUSING.
(2) Remove bolt (1, figure 12-1) to remove flywheel (3) and ring
gear (4) as an assembly. Do not remove ring gear unless it is
badly damaged and replacement is necessary.
(3) Remove nut (7), bolts (5), bolts (8), and lockwashers (6 and
9) to remove flywheel housing (10), and gasket (11). Discard
(4) Using a suitable press, remove oil seal (12) from flywheel hous-
ing and discard.
Cleaning , Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts in cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly. Remove
caked grease deposits with a stiff bristle brush.
(2) Inspect flywheel for cracks, nicks, and burrs. Remove minor
nicks and burrs with crocus cloth.
Rinse flywheel in dry cleaning fluid
after dressing with crocus cloth.
Crocus cloth contains ferrous oxide
which will accelerate rusting of cast
(3) Inspect ring gear for cracks, chipped or broken teeth and other
damage. If ring gear is badly damaged, replace as follows:
(a) Heat flywheel and ring gear in an oven at 450oF (232.2oC)
for two hours.
Wear asbestos gloves when handling heated
flywheel to avoid serious burns.
(b) Remove flywheel and ring gear and lightly tap ring gear to
(c) Heat replacement ring gear as in step (3) (a) above while