(4) Clean and polish the oil seal surfaces of the crankshaft to re-
move any nicks or scratches which could damage the seal. Use
an oil stone or very fine emery cloth and polish with crocus
cloth. If the shafts have a keyway which might damage the
seal during installation, cover this keyway with a thin feeler
gauge to protect the seal.
(5) Apply a thin coat of oil soap to the seal and the seal surface of
the crankshaft. If seal is already oil treated, additional lubri-
cation is not required; however, take care to keep the seal
surface clean during reassembly. Carefully place the oil seal
over the crankshaft to install the cover (14) on the gear hous-
ing. Secure with bolts (8, 10, and 11), nuts (12), and lock-
(6) Install the fan drive pulley (6), key (7), and cone (5). Pull
down and secure the pulley with the crankshaft nut (1), lockwash-
er (2), and flat washer (3). Torque nut to 125 lb-ft.
(7) Install the thrust plate (19) and gasket (20) on the gear cover
HEAD AND ROCKER
(1) Remove the air cleaner assembly (para. 11-2), and coolant con-
(2) Remove manifolds (paras. 11-3 and 11-4) and injector nozzles
(4) Remove nuts (7) and washers (8) to remove rocker arm assem-
bly and push rods (18).
(5) Remove nuts (19) and washers (20).
Tap cylinder head lightly with a soft
hammer to loosen it. Do not pry on
(6) Lift cylinder head (26) from engine.
(7) Remove and discard gasket (21) .
(1) Remove retaining rings (9) to remove mounting blocks (10),
spacers (14 and 15), rocker arm (11), and springs (13) from