(5) Rotate engine crankshaft until screws (1, figure 12-9) are visi-
ble through holes in camshaft drive gear.
(6) Remove the fuel filter assemblies.
Rotate crankshaft as necessary to
lift valve tappets. Use tapered
wooden dowels or magnets to hold
tappets in topmost position.
(7) Remove screws (1) and lockwashers (2) to remove camshaft.
(8) Remove valve tappets.
(1) Remove nut (3, figure 12-9) and support drive gear (4) on
(2) Press shaft (5) out of gear and remove key (6) and thrust
Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
Clean all parts in cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly with
filtered compressed air.
Visually inspect drive gear for cracks and chipped, broken, or
Check thrust plate for cracks, breaks, and excessive wear.
Use a micrometer to determine camshaft bearing journal diameter
Inspect camshaft lobes and bearing journals for wear, scoring,
and scratching. Polish minor nicks, scores, and scratches with
crocus cloth. Clean to remove abrasive residue.
Check camshaft bearing runout as follows:
(a) Place camshaft in a set of vee blocks.
(b) Position a dial indicator so that the foot rides on one of
the bearing journals.