(2) Adjust the brakes.
BRAKE LINING REPLACEMENT.
(3) Remove the rivets and remove the brake linings (9) from the
Assembly and Installation.
(1) Install brake lining on brake shoes and secure with rivets.
(2) Install the brake shoes.
(2) Remove the four nuts (2, figure 19-9) and two U-bolts (13)
that secure the springs saddle (15), and remove the spring
(3) Loosen two clamping screws and remove springs.
Cleaning , Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean parts with approved cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect springs for cracks, breaks, and other defects. Replace
(3) If spring seat is damaged, remove with a cutting torch and
weld a new spring seat to the axle tube.
Install in reverse order of a. above.
FRAME SUSPENSION AND AXLE ASSEMBLY.
(1) Raise the frame with a suitable lifting device and block secure-
ly . Wheels should be free of the ground.
(2) Disconnect the brake lines from the axle assembly.
(3) Remove the forty-four bolts (1 through 5, figure 19-9), wash-
ers and nuts that secure the frame suspension to the frame
and remove the frame suspension, axle, and wheels as a unit.