The engine electrical system consists of two 12-volt, 100 amp-
hour, lead-acid type batteries connected in series; a 24-volt heavy duty
starting motor consisting of a starting motor, a solenoid, and a drive
assembly; and a battery charging alternator with an integral voltage regu-
(1) Be sure that all power switches are set to off.
(2) Refer to figure 7-1 and remove the batteries and the battery
box (if required).
Cleaning, Inspection, and Service.
(1) Clean all corrosion from battery terminals and cases with a wire
(2) Inspect the battery cases for cracks, and terminals for loose
(3) Check the battery electrolyte per tables 7-1 and 7-2.
(4) When the battery leads are installed, coat the exposed areas of
the terminal with a thin coat of grease to prevent corrosion.
Installation. Refer to figure 7-1 and install the battery box (if
removed) and the batteries.