Record position and quantity of spa-
cers (14 and 15) to facilitate assem-
(2) Remove adjustment screws (12).
(3) Separate shafts (10) and bushings (15) from center mounting
(4) Do not remove plugs.
(5) Using a valve spring depressor, depress valve springs and
remove locks (27).
(6) Release valve springs and remove spring seats (28), valve
springs (29), exhaust valves (31), and intake valves (30).
(7) Remove and discard seals (32).
(8) Do not remove valve guides (39), plugs (36, 37, and 38), studs,
fuel injector sleeves (40), and seal unless inspection reveals
(9) Remove side plates from cylinder block (3).
(10) Remove valve tappets (22).
Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
Clean all parts in cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly with
filtered compressed air.
Scrape carbon deposits from valves and cylinder head.
Visually inspect rocker arms for cracks, corrosion, and exces-
sive wear. Check that oil holes are open.
Inspect rocker arm shafts for cracks, deep wear patterns, nicks,
and burrs. Remove minor nicks and burrs with oil soaked crocus
cloth . Clean polished shaft in dry cleaning solvent to remove
Inspect blocks for cracks, nicks, burrs, and excessive wear.
Remove nicks and burrs from outer surfaces with fine abrasive
paper or stone.
Inspect springs for cracks, breaks, chaffing and distortion.
Inspect push rods for cracks, bends, excessive wear, nicks
and scratches. Polish push rods with crocus cloth to remove