SECURING ASLMS CARGO USING RATCHET STRAPS
ASLMS pallets are designed with a series of D-rings around their edges. Pallets (except HAZMAT
Pallets) are provided with four 2-inch ratchet straps that utilize a tension ratchet and snap hook ends to
secure. These straps hook directly on to the D-rings. Proper position of these straps depends on size
and shape of the material stored on the pallet.
1. Extend the ratchet strap and fasten one snap hook end to one of the pad eyes on the edge of the
pallet and extend the strap over the material to be secured until you can connect the other snap hook
end to another pad eye on the opposite side of the pallet.
2. Grasp the loose end of the blue strap and take-up the slack in the drum and strap until the strap has
firm contact with the material.
3. Use the ratchet handle to tighten and add tension to secure the material.
4. To remove the straps, grasp the tension release bar and pull toward the handle.
TENSION RELEASE BAR
OPERATING VENTILATION SYSTEM
A closeable, solid-matter-filtered, free-air-exchange ventilation device provides fresh air and ensures
pressure equalization during heat buildup or when the container is moved via aircraft. The ASLMS has a
series of filter cover plates that allow the vents to be closed.
1. To operate the filter cover plate, first locate the red and black pull handles inside the top ends of the
2. Pull the red-banded handle to release the filter cover plate. This will close the vent.
3. Pull the black handle to relock the filter cover plate in the open position. The filter cover plate should
only be set in the closed position when there is a threat of chemical or biological attack or during
extremely adverse weather conditions.